Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I love Noro!

I’m always surprised by how Noro yarn divides knitters. Anyone who has spent anytime on the Ravelry forums can attest to the fact that there are probably even numbers of lovers and haters.... there are those that dislike it - the coarseness of the fibre, the jarring colourways and the sometimes ridiculous amount of knots in a single ball, but I’m in the other camp.. the Noro-love camp. I love the rustic-ness of the fibre, the bits of vegetable matter that suggest it hasn’t been overprocessed, the slubby nature of the yarn and the amazing way that unlikely colours are mixed together in a wonderful riot! The knots, I am not so fond of, but found in my last project, which took 19 balls of Noro, probably only 4 balls that contained knots at all! A very low hit rate! So here is my latest and greatest Noro project; The Noro Paintbox Log Cabin. A brilliantly simple, yet effective way to maximise the best of Noro.
Despite it’s size, this was a fabulously portable project. A ball of Noro and a 4.5mm circular, and I could knit the road with nothing more in my knitting kit. Of course putting it together at the end was a bit of a marathon, but an incredibly rewarding one!
I’m so glad I have finished this just in time for our cold weather, it’s very warm and wonderful to snuggle under.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous blanket!!

I'm slowly warming to Noro, lol, I used to absolutely hate it. Mostly because of the coarseness, but the colours keep sucking me back in, heh.

Recently I frogged a wrap that I had made with it, and that seemed to soften up the yarn, so I was all 'ooooh maybe I can like it?'.

Alrischa said...

It is gorgeous, and now you've got me thinking about how exactly you did join it all together...

I know what you mean about Noro. I still haven't decided how I feel about it myself, but nothing else has quite the same long color changes. Am making gloves out of it soon.

Fi said...

Totally gorgeous
And you know I am in the Noro love camp too. I think your first Clapotis well and truly put me there a few years ago!!

dash robin said...

beautiful blanky and beautiful children(no bias at all)...noro's colours are just stunning, I am in the love camp but have never actually used it so hopefully when I one day splurge on some I won't find tooo many joins or abrupt colour switches!

Rachael said...

Been meaning to post on this today. It's gorgeous! You don't say which Noro you used (do you?).

April, it really depends what Noro you get - I don't think I'd knit with Kureyon myself, although I do have some socks in it that have softened.

The Silk Garden is my favourite yarn to knit with EVER I think!

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Oops! Yes forgot to mention that it was all Kureyon. I had a couple if squares of silkgarden but oddly I didn't like it for this project. Not mixed with the Kureyon anyway... It would have drastically changed the drape of the blanket, and I really wanted something both sturdy and substantial and I wasn't sure i'd get that with the silkgarden. Not to say I don't adore silkgarden for just about everything else!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Kate sent me over here for a look, I was after your gorgeous socks that you made her :-)

I have to tell you that your Noro log cabin blanket is just divine.... what an inspirational showpiece :-)